Take part in The Finding's Women, Mothers and Babies scratch choir
An invitation to sing, play and take part in the creation of a work-in-progress performance of The Finding.
The Finding – one of our Various Stages Festival projects are forming a non-auditioning scratch choir for women of all ages and musical ability, including mothers and their babies (under 24 months).
No experience necessary!
As part of the development of new piece The Finding, project creators Zoë Palmer (writer), Richard Melkonian (composer) and Lucy Bradley (director) are currently recruiting a scratch choir of women singers to tell a remarkable story.
Influenced by magical realism The Finding will develop a mythical and symbolic exploration of a grandmother dealing with the personal consequences of violence and war. The creators will work with a scratch choir of mothers and babies, sometimes on stage at other times off, to unearth the ways we grieve, endure and transform suffering and loss.
Although the subject matter is powerful, The Finding is led by a highly experienced creative team and the workshops will be playful, fun and engaging.
Together everyone will:
- Learn original music by composer Richard Melkonian
- Work with director Lucy Bradley to bring the story to life
- Sing songs from around the world that are uplifting and joyful as well as soothing and calming
- Explore creative music-making and play with babies
- Explore simple percussion and body percussion techniques
- Take part in a 15-minute work-in-progress sharing at the Institute of Contemporary Arts (ICA)
- Provide refreshments and travel expenses
Thursdays 10am–11am for 5 weeks
Starting 26 January then 2 February, 9 February, 16 February, 23 February
Omnibus, 1 Clapham Common Northside, London SW4 0QW
5 minutes’ walk from Clapham Common station (Northern Line)
The project will culminate on 24 February with a 15-minute performance of the work-in-progress at the ICA in central London.
Please drop us a line if you’d like to come and sing with us, we look forward to hearing from you: firstname.lastname@example.org