Thursday 21 September 2017
snappy operas Phase 1: Outcomes & legacy
We've come to the end of our first year of Snappy Operas - our two year project working with primary school children and top industry composers and librettists to develop ten mini-operas.
We now have five brilliant ten-minute operas and we've worked with twenty five schools and 767 young people around the country to perform them in professional venues to packed audiences. Annabel Jackson Associates came onboard to help us assess the impact of the first half of this unique project. You can read all about its key strengths below, or download the full report in the sidebar.
The key strengths of the project were:
- The objectives were clear and compelling.
- The creative teams were highly skilled and worked well together.
- The structure of working with local music hubs and other partners helped to make the best of the limited capacity of Mahogany Opera Group.
- The value to schools was high. 86% of teachers said that Snappy Operas supported their teaching of the curriculum. All teachers said that Snappy Operas increased students musical and drama skills. All teachers said that Snappy Operas strengthened students’ team working skills. All teachers would recommend Mahogany Opera Group projects to other teachers.
- The legacy of the project was strong. Children were excited by opera and more interested in attending performances. The online resources, including the new commissions, brought the potential benefit to a large number of additional schools.
- The project was very good value for money.
“Having participated in sessions delivered by other organisations in the past, this was, without question, the best I have been involved with. The team were excellent with the children and involved the children within the development of the opera, whilst still steering the children towards a performance.” Teacher survey
“We were so grateful and lucky to have been chosen to be part of this project - it was awesome and inspiring. what many officials don’t realise is that the impact of taking part in this performance has a massive effect on self-esteem and resilience, and therefore on their work in school.” Teacher survey
“We achieved a lot more than I expected. At first I thought it was hard but we still managed to do it. And we were relaxed while doing it.” Student interview
“I had no impression of what opera was. My mind was a blank. Once you know about opera, it is fun. Everything is fun: acting, props, costumes.” Student interview
Taking stock at the halfway point - Snappy Operas' official evaluation by Annabel Jackson Associates